SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

I did buy a 5' chunk of 3/8 bbb the other day to put on my new 9lb Delta fast set, only because it was and end cut, cheap etc. At some point in time, I will upgrade teh 1/4 ht on my main anchor to 5/16HT, and 30-40' vs 15', maybe upgrade the 7.5 bruce to a 10kg or equal. These were in the cards/thoughts before this thread.

I hold a 6500 lb bobcat, 3000 lb trackhoe on a trailer with 1/4HT and 5/16HT chain, have for many years, many stops, starts, E stops etc, not broken links as of "yet" knock knock knock......... My boat is 6500 lbs too, so not sure that these types of starts and stops are much worst than a boat at anchor in a storm I will get into here in puget sound any how.

You may change someone who is heading to the the south seas per say. Then again, if I was, the anchors I have would probably be a bit different due to other reasons. I more chain length to deal with coral etc. A heavier/larger displacement anchor for a hurricane if one showed up. Figure it would, along with a larger chain potential, and a larger length diam rope for that time too. maybe even a way to hook up a large and two smaller anchors to help hold me if need be. Not sure I would go to 5/8 down to 3/8 then rode and a 50 some odd lb anchor for normal use. Storm/hurricane use, potentially. For normal weekend up to 40-50 knots. My boat is not much bigger/smaller size wise than Aarons. altho his is heavier, so it would need more weight/anchor surface for an equal wind, which should be accounted for, along with width, frontal surface area etc as to how heavy ones ground tackle should be.

Marty