SailNet Community - View Single Post - Redoing shore power correctly
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Redoing shore power correctly

I'm finally getting around to redoing my shore power setup on my Newport 28; the PO had household 12/2 Romex going directly to a household GFCI outlet, which I imagine is less than optimal.

Let me emphasize I have NOT been using this setup at all. Ever. Scared me just to look at it.

I've bought the Blue Sea 8077 30A main circuit breaker, and plan on having one run throughout the boat with four or five outlets. I know the first outlet has to be a GFCI, and I've found that at West Marine, but I don't see just regular outlets available. I did find one at Marinco, but it's a 20A 125V outlet that costs more than the GFCI outlet. That doesn't seem right. Who's a good source for marine outlets of this kind?

Other questions: Is it a bad idea to have one 30A circuit instead of two 15A? The switch I got was ~$100; the next upgrade is the 8027 at around $200, and as I said, my needs are simple; but if it's a safety issue, I'll take the 8077 back and get the 8027 6-switch instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook