SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking to sail liberty landing marina to newport RI
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: looking to sail liberty landing marina to newport RI

Hi,

This is a pretty straighforward trip. You have two options: going out and around Long Island Straight to Newport, with maybe a stopover at Block Island. Or taking the inside route up the East River. Since it's your first trip, you'll probably want to do the inside route?

The 1st challenge is timing the currents on the East River up into the sound. The general guidance is to be at the battery starting up around 2 hours after low tide at the battery. However you can arrive later. You want to make sure you are clear of hell gate before the current turns against you. A copy of Eldridge tides and currents is essential for this trip, or certainly a good tide and current software source. ( I use both)
I like thumbing through the book.

The currents will carry you nicely up river at speeds over ground that you could not obtain otherwise. So the 15 mile trip should take only around 2 hours + or - Keep an eye out for commercial traffic coming from ahead and behind, keep a firm hand on the tiller..through the gate..the currents tend to look worse than they are but still are moving swiftly. Keep the pointy end of the boat up river. Monitor channel 13 and 9 as well as 16 to keep an ear out for the commercial traffic. I tend to keep to the right past lower manhattan to stay somewhat clear of the ferry traffic.leaving and arriving.

Keep to the left side of roosevelt island..( going up...right side coming down) and you can pass through the brother islands via the well marked channel, rather than going around. Study the chart before you go and have it handy, so you know where you are.

Once into the sound the next decision is do you favor the connecticut side or the Long Island side. Either has ample facilities for stopovers. I like to Stop at Port Jefferson then crossover to the Connecticut river and either Old Saybrook or Essex. ( 40 miles or so). You can pick up a mooring ( around $40.) at Port Jeff and launch service is free ( tips) They have new shower and laundry facilities. I forget the channel they monitor ( in my log on the boat) I believe it's 68.

Other's may have their favorites. You can go out one way, and return another.

The Connecticut side west of the Connecticut River has some tricky but managable entrances to many harbors.

You should get a cruising guide, they are chock full of information. Certainly join Active Captain ( free) It's full of great advice and resources as well as chartlets.

From The connecticut River you can make Newport in a day, or stop at Block Is, then back to Newport, or visa versa. The possibilities are endless on this trip...

Going through the Race of Long island you would need to consult your currents again.
Timing is everything! Let the currents be your friend. ( in fact, you should keep and eye on them at all times)

As far as how long...it depends on you. You can take 3 days..or more with stopovers in the evening or just keep going non-stop....

Last edited by Tempest; 08-02-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook