SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking to sail liberty landing marina to newport RI
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: looking to sail liberty landing marina to newport RI

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternj354 View Post
this is our first big sail trip anyone have any advice tips about NYC to newport RI
How long dose this trip normally take? we have a Catalina 34 all the help we can get would be great!
Hey, you really have selected a big trip. If you go through the Long Island Sound it's about 150nm from Liberty Landing to Newport. Assuming you can make 6 kts, that is about 25 hours. So it could be 2 12 hour days, 3 8 hour days, 4 6 hour days, etc. If you can only make 5 kts, then it's 30 hours.

I have sailed from Newport to Mt. Sinai NY (the delivery of my current boat), and from Mt. Sinai to NYC (a week vacation at the 79th boat basin). This was done in different trips and different years. It's about 85nm from Mt. Sinai to Newport. I did it two days, motor sailing at cruising speed, and with favorable currents. I did the trip from Mt. Sinai to NY in two days also, with a long day 1 and a short day 2 so we could sight see around NY harbor.

It can be a fun trip, but you better make sure your boat is in good mechanical condition and you better have enough time to enjoy it.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook