SailNet Community - View Single Post - Family sailing report with photos and embedded questions
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Re: Family sailing report with photos and embedded questions

Thanks for sharing your sail.

We all deal with no wind, bad weather, navigating shallow waters, continuous maintenance and endless projects, and then we get that Nirvana sail; perfect company, perfect wind, perfect scenery,.... and it's all worth while. We have a 70/30 rule. 70% enjoyable and 30% suck rule, when the 30% increases and increases then we will need to discuss if it's worth it anymore.

We have a 7 yr old and 9 yr old, and I am hoping to provide them with a great childhood memories sailing on the Chesapeake Bay. We do get the "I'm bored" and "We are going too slow, can we turn the motor on?". I let both of them drive the sailboat, sent the oldest to Sail Camp which now knows more knots then my wife and let them be involved with everything sailing. And making sure they brought their Nook or handheld PSP, just when you just get keep their attention anymore.

Our potable water system is very much drinkable and have installed a low cost filtration system within the waterline and pressure system. Just need to maintain the system.

We have a masthead too with a hydraulic tension backstay. Tightening the backstay will help flatten out the mainsail when the wind picks up but honestly, I don't see much of a difference on my current rig. We get better results adjusting our cunningham and outhaul for fine tuning sail adjustments. Long time ago, we had a 7/8 fraction rig racer / cruiser and adjusting the backstay was much more noticeable.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook