SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good boat for learning to sail single-handed in the San Diego area?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012

sailawaysoon is on a distinguished road
Good boat for learning to sail single-handed in the San Diego area?

Hi

Iíll soon be moving to San Diego for a couple of years. While Iím there, Iíd like to build the skills to sail a 30-36í racer/cruiser single-handed. Iíve a fair amount of dingy sailing experience, some as crew on racer/cruisers, but limited experience at the helm on racer/cruisers. Iím thinking the best way to spend lots of time at the helm is to buy a Ďstarterí boat that I can sail single-handed.

Iíve read many of the posts on this site Ė itís a great resource! Iíd really appreciate any advice on the types of boats that would maximize my sailing opportunities in the San Diego area. Iím thinking mainly evening and weekend sailing, with possibly an occasional trip to Catalina. I can always tootle about on my own, but sailing with other boats and going places is fun. Iím female, 5í2, and about 115lb, and need a boat I can handle comfortably on my own. So far, Iíve mostly been looking at 27-30í Catalinas, but would welcome any other suggestions.

My budget could stretch to $35k ready to sail away, but Iíd be much more comfortable with much less than that. Iíve no idea where Iíll be moving to in 2 years, and I may well have to sell then.

Also, any recommendations on sailing clubs/groups in the area that are really active and would welcome a newbie?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook