SailNet Community - View Single Post - Roller Furler Repair
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Roller Furler Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
You dont want to use a winch on a furler, you may end up busting the system. If you have difficulty furling due to wind pressure, bear off and furl the jib when its sheltered behind the main.

You should not ease the halyard as that increases the chance of wrapping it when furling.

Most furlers require some annual servicing, what does your Harken need?
Understood. We don't like using a winch and it is only under "desperation" that we do so, carefully looking aloft. We head up, into the wind, to reduce pressure but it doesn't seem to help completely. In fact, we have a tough time rolling it up under mild conditions. This worsened when the forestay was removed and reattached to replace the bowsprit. However, we just got new sails and this sail is a 110% Yankee when the old one was a 100% Yankee. That works against me as there would be more resistance. The forestay seems tighter now so that should have made it easier to furl the sail. Regarding maintenance; what maintenance is called for? As I understand it, these units are pretty self contained and need an occassional fresh water wash to get the salt out.

So... back to my original question; do you think replacing the bearings would solve my problems? Anyone experience what I am seeing?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook