SailNet Community - View Single Post - Redoing shore power correctly
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Redoing shore power correctly

"ACE Hardware has"
Funny secret about ACE. I give them great credit for having stuff in the store, on the shelf, that the big box stores just don't carry. And I know that costs money.
But if you order from the Ace hardware web site (Ace, not one of the "Ace sellers") you can order the same things often for 1/3 LESS and then they ship it to your local store, FREE for pickup.
How this makes financial sense to them, I don't know, since I'd rather just pay the same price, go to the same store, and buy the same goods from the store inventory. But, that's how Ace wants it. I guess "I'd like that today" commands a hefty surcharge.

If you're using "household" parts for the AC on a boat? Make sure to use the SCREW TERMINALS on the outlets, not the easy push-in slots for the wires. The problem is that the push-in slots just make an edge contact on the wire, and that contact will corrode (even ashore) resulting in a hotter higher-resistance contact. Using the screw contacts gives you a better connection.

" Every outlet does not need to be GFCI.. " And espeially, as mitiempo said, JUST use it on the first outlet on any run. If you have more than one GFCI on any one circuit, they tend to interact and trip each other off. RFPITA and no greater protection.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook