SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Boat was Hit Bad
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012

cktalons is on a distinguished road
Re: My Boat was Hit Bad

I'm glad my situation has caused so much awareness and education about the boating insurance industry. I'm under-impressed with BoatUS.

For those keeping score, I started this thread over a week ago, the same day of the boat ramming. BoatUS has yet to contact me regards their plans for my boat. The only communication I've had with them was a few days after the accident, and all correspondence was initiated by me.

Over one week later, my boat still has a hole, extensive deck damage, and a shifted bulkhead. My home was wrecked. I was clearly not at fault. And yet, over one week later, my home still has a hole in it and no word from the guilty party's insurance company. I'm not sure if the boat will be totaled or repaired. Today is Friday, so I won't hear from BoatUS until next week, making it a full two weeks since the accident.

I will do what is necessary to be compensated for this loss. Not only was my home rammed, but my office (I work from my boat!). I've lost productivity, I've lost sleep, I've lost the middle of sailing season. Oh yes, I'm upset. Because, as the first post states, I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG! Unfair? YES. Unjust? Absolutely! My home was rammed, and yet I'm the one, the innocent party, paying for it in time, stress, and legal fees? Hmmm....

My attorney is on top of this now. Rest assured, I'm not backing down. The longer this continues, the more irritated I become. I will not rollover.