SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can You Buy Safety?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012

Woodvet is on a distinguished road
Re: Can You Buy Safety?

The key to surviving disaster is to drill so often that your reaction is down packed. That way the extenuating circumstance is only an annoyance.
I think I need not ask what you think of smoking dope or drinking underway. They are many a right, or acceptable risk. May be -but not on a boat...
I have a very good sense of humor but it has no basis in alcohol or dope. They are not "the life of the party" that's an illusion or myth.
Even in my sailing course I was taught to accept drinking but pot was illegal.
Some argue smoking pot causes less road accidents but perhaps this might be due to the fact most pot heads can't ever remember just where it was they put their car keys.
Drinking and smoking are in no way conducive to safety and I do argue that, (just as I have with a drunken skipper headed into a squall). When I think of someone abandoning their perfectly good sailboat on a psychotic notion I think of my friends who smoke pot and talk about how flying saucers are causing the aurora borealis.
I think of drunk and stubborn ego maniac's and purple rages.
So the single best piece of sailing safety equipment my not be what you buy or take on but what you left at home. Life is complete you don't need it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook