SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Boat was Hit Bad
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: My Boat was Hit Bad

I assume you have Mr. Powerboater's insurance carrier and Policy # by now.
I'm not surprised that Boat US (your insurance carrier) has not gotten back to you yet, unless Mr. Powerboater also used Boat US for his insurance. For the record, it would be easier for us to understand if we knew which insurance company he used.
It will take them time to substantiate an estimate for repairs (hire a surveyor, contact boat yards etc.) and this is their busy season as other policy holders have sunk their boats at the dock or driven them up on the rocks.
The best advice I can give is to try to remain philosophical and calm about all of this as it will take more time then you might think for this all to get sorted out (every repair with boats takes 3 times longer and costs twice as much as expected).
If you are feeling impatient then call Mr. Powerboater's marine insurance company and make sure that a claim has been opened against his policy for the damage he did to your boat. Then find out what has (or has not) been done. You may be able to help them by finding a marine surveyor to assess the damage and help move things along, or they may give you the name of the surveyor they want to use. A good survey of the damage is the first step.
The next step would be to find the best yard or company that can do the repairs to your satisfaction. It is a lot like auto insurance once it reaches this point; they'll pay $18K for repairs but you want to use auto shop X who you trust to do good work but will charge $20K. That is where your lawyer friend may come in handy.

I guess I am saying that it is fine to make loud noises about how you were wronged (and you were) but the more even tempered and helpful you can be may help move things along just a little bit faster. After all, the people that work for the insurance company were not the ones who damaged your boat. Their client did and they should respond to that but they personally never did you any harm. Old adage: You'll catch more flies with honey.

Having done a lesser repair to my own boat it seems to me that you are looking at at least 1 month of being hauled out on jack stands. Knowing what I think I do about the flakiness of marine 'professionals' and how busy they are with other clients jobs you would be really lucky to find someone who could spend an entire week devoted to your damaged deck house. You might consider finding a place to stay on land by the week or even for a full month (or more - hope not!). Hopefully my perceptions are a bit out of whack but the marine repair business is not exactly as well run as the auto repair business.

I hope I am wrong about this. I am just suggesting that it might not all get 'made whole' in a week or two.

More reasons to be pi$$ed off and lose sleep, I know. Sorry about that.

When our boat had a hole in the hull/deck joint on the port bow, jib in tatters, bow pulpit crushed ... due in part to our own negligence, I did the fiberglass repairs myself as I could not find anyone available who could commit to doing it quickly. I sub-contracted a new roller furler and we bought a new bow pulpit and installed it ourselves. It took about 1 month to do it all.

I really do wish you the best of luck with this 'process'.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook