SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spraying gelcoat
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Spraying gelcoat

bob, with "body work" the usual suggestion is to buy a hood from a junkyard, or a door panel, and use that as your practice material. You're looking for a smooth finish, and the wood is rough and porous. Maybe the smooth side of a sheet of masonite would do, or a sheet of formica, but I'd aim for smooth and not porous.

When professionals spray, they use different spray guns for horizontal and vertical surfaces. I think we've got some pros on the forum, maybe they'll chime in about this.

But for a whole deck? Considering the fast kick-off time for gelcoat, the small amount a Preval sprayer holds, the fact that fresh gelcoat isn't going to adhere over fresh gelcoat until that has been de-waxed and cleaned...I'd expect to need professional tools, so you can do the entire job in one operation, one pass from stem to stern. With plans to mix fresh batches as needed, and to anticipate any clogs or other issues.

I couldn't extract a clean URL out of this, but there's a Google link to Valspar's guide to using gelcoat. As bl said...planning. And spares.

[PDF]
Gel Coat Application Guide - Plasticarewww.plasticareinc.com/Merchant2/MSDS.../Gel_Coat_Guide.pdfSimilar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
Gel Coat Application Guide. Page 1. Introduction. Gel coat makes fiberglass reinforced products attractive and practical. Technically, it is a surface coating of ...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook