SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thinking about living aboard
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Thinking about living aboard

I started on a Cal 25 at Whiteley's Marina in Cocoa Beach in the late 70's, easy in FL....the company moved me to MD, moved up to a Cal 29 but with no heat and freezing showers I only lasted till late Dec. Never got in to stuff, just a vehicle for work. Got married in the early 80's, two of us on a 34' Gin Fizz lasted several years till the son was born and job change required better conditions. Then back to boats in the late 1990's after the son started college. Been there since until last year when we moved back to care for the out-laws.

As SeaHunter says it really is a way of life, and you may go back and forth like we have or you may just be able to stay aboard for the duration. We could likely get all the important stuff down to liveaboard and some storage in the suburban...tools and heavy, lightly used stuff.

No debt, no credit cards and old vehicles will get you there much faster. To do it simply to save money may work, if you can adapt. And btw the Cal 29 is just fine for a single guy or a close couple.

YMMV, and best of luck and for sure go for it while you are young and can make mistakes...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook