SailNet Community - View Single Post - rope & wire halyards vs all rope halyards
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: rope & wire halyards vs all rope halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I first sailed across the Pacific with rope halyards. The kept stretching and chafing thru, so I replaced them with wire, with a rope tail, in New Zealand in 74, and have had no problem with them since. I would never consider going back to all rope halyards.
A friend, who used stainless 7x19 wire, had to replace them very three years, because of broken strands. He only sailed weekends, and a three week summer holiday.I cruise full time, year round, and my current 1/4 inch 7x19 galvanized wire halyard will be ten years old by next spring. Despite having crossed the Pacific, it has no broken strands or meat hooks anywhere. Stick to galvanized . 1/4 inch is overkill, but far less likely to jump a sheave, than 3/16th. I tie the rope tail on thru a hard eye in the wire, no rope to wire splice needed. .
Brent,
Don't you even consider the possibility that there has been the odd advance in line technology since 1974 ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook