SailNet Community - View Single Post - Home schooling for Cruisers
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Home schooling for Cruisers

If we were land based I'd be pretty much against home schooling. While there may be certain advantages the lack of connection with other kids is to my mind too big a downside to ignore.

That said, were we with sprogs and out cruising I'd have no compunction whatsoever about boat schooling during early years , say to around age 16. Reality is the life lessons to be learnt plus the inate sociability of the cruising community make boat schooling a very practical alternative, provided of course the youngsters have the right parents.

I guess though that I think StAnna has got it right and towards the end of their school years its probably for the best that young people are on land. There is a good chance they'll want to go to university or college or some kind and sending them off blind would not seem a terribly kind thing to do.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 08-10-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook