SailNet Community - View Single Post - 39th Annual St. Mary's Governor's Cup
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
39th Annual St. Mary's Governor's Cup

This weekend I had the pleasure of competing in the 39th Annual Governor's Cup.

Instead of racing my boat, I crewed for a good friend who taught me a lot about how to sail, how to race, and how to campaign a boat.

70 miles pounding into a 3 foot, square wave chop with a 17-20kt wind dead on the nose. I had to work through a bout of Mal de Mer, but it was all great and totally worth it.

It was great to race with the old gang again. The after party was nice, St. Mary's is as historic and picturesque as ever. Even though we didn't do as well as our skipper was hoping for, we significantly improved our performance over last year.

Last year, we had over 155 boats. This year, we had 150 boats. In it's heyday, the Gov Cup had 400 boats and they'd have to turn people away.

Next year is the 40th race. I plan on racing my own boat, just to help boost the number of competitors, to help keep the race alive.

Some FYI: To encourage participation, they have added a "Potomac Leg" that runs from Dahlgren, VA to St. Mary's, MD. This runs concurrently with the Annapolis Leg. They have also added a "Cruising Class".

No excuses not to join in on the fun next year!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook