SailNet Community - View Single Post - racing rules question narrow channel
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012

bobbylockes is on a distinguished road
Re: racing rules question narrow channel

I suspect no-one else would run the administration of the 'club'. No-one is particularly enthusiastic.

They have been the core members of the club since its inception 12 years ago, it is only the past 2 years that they took over because no-one else wanted to do it. They are doing their best to promote the club and get sponsorship (they used to run a harbour on the lake so they know alot of people) but despite their efforts the better sailors are leaving or have left. I'm also part of the club committee , but more a silent member with no real function just to make up the numbers so the club could deemed a legal club in the eyes of the local council. Year on year for the last 5 years members have been cancelling their subscriptions. I think its dropped from 200 to 36 paying members. There used to be at least 10+ boats each friday with 2 or 3 people in each boat. Now its barely 6 and some are single-handed. Other clubs on the lake are suffering a similar fate though. It makes me mad to think of their behaviour and how good sailors cancelled their subscriptions. My girlfriend just told me that she never became a member because of the shouting, aggressiveness and arrogance. Before I became a member they would tell yarns of fist-fights back on the dock after the race because someone cheated. It's such a shame these people can't play fairly without the need for a referee because it's such a nice lake and course.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook