SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delivery
Thread: Delivery
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Delivery

Even from as far east as Halifax, heading to Florida via Bermuda makes no sense whatsoever, IMHO... No need to take my word for it, Don Street is the guy to be listening to...

Don Street's Sailing Routes to the Caribbean | Cruising World

Going down the coast is the way to go... Pick a decent window from Cape Sable to Cape Cod, thence to the Chesapeake Entrance. If the weather is favorable for going outside Hatteras, fine, keep going... But I'd suggest going down the ditch to Beaufort/Morehead, it's a nice part of the trip, and would break up such a long delivery nicely...

From there, it's simply a matter of playing the fronts, sometimes ducking back inside to wait out the SW breeze that usually precede the next frontal passage... It really doesn't get much better than sailing south along the East coast in the fall, the sailing conditions can be spectacular, and you have a wide variety of options to keep you moving... Even if you're viewing it primarily as a fast delivery, it's awfully nice to have the option of stopping at so many of the great spots all along the East coast...

Years ago, I did a piece for CW regarding the trip down the ICW, with an eye towards encouraging snowbirds to get off the Ditch, and maximize the amount of the trip done under sail... Some of it is dated by now - no way you want to think about Oregon Inlet today, for example - but it might give you some insight as to which inlets are viable, and a general strategy for sailing south of Hatteras...

An Insider's ICW | Cruising World
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook