SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

I thought of this thread this weekend, when anchored in a full bed of grass at Cuttyhunk. I put the 75lb CQR down and knew it wasn't set. I would back against it, go to zero SOG and then it would jump and back to zero again, etc. I was clearly getting hung up in weeds and then ripping them free and repeating.

We had just arrived from a 4 hour passage in 100 foot of visibility and were a bit shot, so I dropped about 100 feet of 1/2" chain in 10 feet of water and took a break. I would go back and reset later. With only about 10 of wind, I wasn't moving, despite not being set properly. People started filling in around me and having equal trouble setting. All gave each other plenty of room, for obvious reasons.

About 5 hours later, I checked the Ipad Anchor Watch app, which tracks your swing trail and you can visibly see if you're dragging. We hadn't moved an inch. Not one inch. So, with winds forecast to drop even further over night, I just stayed put.

The following morning, we had swung about 20 degrees on an arch (just as forecast winds suggested) and never dragged.

Perhaps this wasn't my best form, but I'm certain this only worked, due to the shear weight of the gear sitting at the bottom and the low wind. Would you say that the anchor and chain weigh roughly 900lbs?

Bigger just may be better after all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook