SailNet Community - View Single Post - Could you cobble up a windlass out off...
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Could you cobble up a windlass out off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Are the plans in your books? I had to abandon the wood-stove idea for my boat(insurance :-()
The Anchorlift winch is my first choice right now, there's a choice of all aluminium, or stainless. Building my own, or getting one made by a person I can actually talk to has a lot of appeal.

Anchorlift USA Dolphin Windlass with Capstan- Stainless from Wholesale Marine

Is one I was looking at, I've seen them as low as 660$ on ebay.

That doesn't leave a lot of room for cost savings in building my own IMO.
So I would look at building one from the idea of making a better one(like Brent's) vs making one for less, which usually doesn't work out as well as planned.
Yes the plans are in my book. It's a drum winch, with the drum holding 500 feet of half inch nylon and some chain, similar to the ones used universally on commercial fish boats here. Some use more chain and less line.
A gypsy version wouldn't be hard to build. Some clients have put a hydraulic drive on theirs, with good results.
A friend always puts a Char Lyne hydraulic motor below decks with a vertical drum on deck. He drives it with a power steering pump , belt driven by the engine. He has a lever he reaches thru the main hatch for, and puts a bit of tension on the belt, then hooks it in. This leaves the drum turning. He then walks to the foredeck, and takes a few turns of chain or line anchor rode around the constantly turning drum, and pulls his anchor aboard. Then he walks back to the cockpit , reaches thru the hatch, and releases the pump, The drum was turning the whole time, since he left the cockpit. Extremely simple.