SailNet Community - View Single Post - CATAMARAN DESIGN and BRIDEDECK CLEARANCE
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: CATAMARAN DESIGN and BRIDEDECK CLEARANCE

I don't know enough about the bridge deck issue to comment on specific heights but insufficient height is a major problem from what I do know.

Regarding the interior, I'd favour a downstairs galley. My biggest complaint about catamaran layouts is the restricted seating space in the saloon where much space is taken up by the galley and/or nav station. Must say I do like the layout of the Schoening 1320 though I know nothing about the boat itself. The 1700 is for my money absurdly large, but then I only think about space for a couple plus very occasional guests.

The way I figure the galley is this. Down below gets it out of the way with one major drawback being heat in warmer climes. For me that is negated by the fact that in summer we always cook outside and with a cats cockpit even preparation outside is simple.

Others might say that the galley in the saloon allows more interaction twixt the cook and the crew. Fair enough I guess but I still don't think that outweighs the other issues.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 08-07-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook