SailNet Community - View Single Post - additional potable water tank location
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: additional potable water tank location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDS123 View Post
Time to start doing a bit of math - no need to go extreme, but you should at least do a rudimentary weight and balance to get a feel for your loading.

I wouldn't get obsessed about sailing on her lines, but you should at least have an idea of how you are changing her floatation.

We once put 400 lbs in a 9,000 lbs boat a 'bit aft' of what we guessed was center of floatation - it lowered the stern by 2" and raised the bow by a lot, boat appeared to be popping a wheelie. Why - Center of floatation was significantly foreward of our guess.
Clarification .... my use of "lines" was probably not strictly correct. I was really talking about balance fore and aft, so yes flotation is probably a better term to use.

I don't think hobby horsing is likely to be a major issue but as WDS says, get that weight distribution wrong and you will have her down in the stern which apart from any performance issues simply looks bad.

Andrew B

(Reality is most cruising boats of small to moderate size will inevitably be down on their lines.)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 08-07-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook