SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crew Wanted 5+ days MD to Cape Cod Aug 2nd
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Crew Wanted 5+ days MD to Cape Cod Aug 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I've been on a boat with David before. I was impressed with his willingness to go down below for a lie down when the wind, weather and waves were at their worst. His nonchalance was actually reassuring. He inspired me to go below and not lie down when we were motoring into nearly 50 knot gusts on the LI Sound. I found that I did not get seasick sitting in the cabin of a pitching, yawing boat.
The way I figure it is like this:
You start on a multi-day trip with a bunch of guys everyone is excited and
lets face it since we are guys their is at least the potential for a little competitiveness.

It's like when you were little no-one wants to go to bed and miss any of the fun.

So what I do is if everything is stable with no weather or navigation or boat handling issues I will either lay down in the cockpit or go below and lay-down.
I must sleep but am not aware of sleeping as it seems as though I'm aware of the boat at all times. Any slight change in wind or engine and I listen to the conversation around me for a moment and drift back off unless it seems like I should get up.

If I'm on deck I'm ready to help in an instant even if lying down.
If I am below I just have to pee, through on my Mustang and I'm ready to go.

My theory is that if the boat and crew are stable the safest thing for me to do is lie down and rest as things can always get worse.

That way if nothing unusual happens I'm fresher than I would be at work the next day.
If something does happen unusual then I'm the freshest on the boat.

Everyone has a energy wall. If you hit the wall when the boat needs you it is very dangerous. My goal on a trip is to conserve energy at every possible moment so I don't even sit in the cockpit if I can lay down. That way if the boat needs me my energy wall is a far away as possible.

Don't forget it can always get worse.
If the waves are 10' and the wind 35k it can get worse. The waves can go to 30' and the wind to 50k.
Do you have the physical reserve to keep the boat safe?

In this particular delivery I was even more conservation minded than usual because John and his best friend Ean demonstrated immediately that they were very capable, so the role I figured I should play was purely supportive. Take shifts so they could sleep, fix lunches and do as I was told. And all importantly be ready in case someone got hurt or sick or hit the wall.
They did a great job.

Last edited by davidpm; 08-08-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook