SailNet Community - View Single Post - 39th Annual St. Mary's Governor's Cup
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: 39th Annual St. Mary's Governor's Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Same weather as last year's race. Not a pleasure sail!
Just got my PHRF certificate reinstated and also hope to enter next year's race. Hope to see you leading your class.
Our performance this year was worse than last year but no one got hurt, we didn't break anything (well except the head erupted which was pretty unpleasant), and no one got sick this year (we had a casualty last year).

With the nearly full moon, it was quite a beautiful night, despite the beat down mother nature delivered again this year. I actually felt things were a tad less rough this year, but that's likely because the Admrial ordered a heavy reef down after the head problem so we were pretty heavily reefed most of the night this year.

The ride home Sunday, further convinced my wife that racing was no fun as it was a fast motor-sail with the jib on a whisker pole, for a nice smooth ride, surfing home at 7-8+ knots while we enjoyed Bloody Mary's. It was about as pleasant a time as we've ever had on the boat, which provided highly unfavorable comparison to the previous nights race conditions.

I can't really say I blame her for not being too enamored of this kind of racing, as despite my best efforts to take the load off her, she ends up feeling like a galley slave keeping everyone fed and cleaning up exploding heads. If we do the race next year, and I hope to, we'll be doing it in a less cruisy mode, foregoing the lasagna and garlic bread in favor of sandwiches and maybe some ramen noodles.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook