SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan 24
Thread: Morgan 24
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012

Caliber28 is on a distinguished road
Re: Morgan 24

To the Morgan 24 sailor, two suggestions:

I know I'm eight months late but...

Tho I love your energy, your replies are so long and solid copy that, unless one is retired and has lots of spare time, I wouldn't read past the 10th line. And it's unfortunate because you may have lots of great morsels to share.

Please break up your copy into paragraphs, and please make the first sentence of the paragraph, what the paragraph is about. Thank you. It will be much more inviting for us to read.

On the water tank, I had a similar challenge. The under-v-berth tank opening was 2" in diameter. So I bought an inspection port, which screws open and shut, with an o-ring gasket,

I bought a 4" because I could get my hand and arm inside for scrubbing the tank, and because I didn't have room for a 6". With the 6", you can more easily get a hose, the sprayer, a scrub brush, whatever, inside the tank and you'll know your water will be clean. Install a 6" if you have the space.

Also, a big inspection port makes it easier to fill the tank with jerry jugs, if you aren't using a hose. There's less water slop.

The absolute best tool to own, for boats, is a top-handle Bosch jig saw. You can cut anything and Bosch offers so many kinds of blades (wood, fiberglas, aluminum-cutting, etc.) Although my last three were corded models, there's much to recommend if Bosch makes a cordless. but it's not that big a deal.

Whatever brand you buy, make sure it's orbital, not old- fashioned straight up-and-down. They cut faster/cleaner and you can do a plunge cut if you have 15" and you don't have a drill hole. If you need to cut a small diameter hole in a space too tight for a jig saw, you can also use a laminate trimmer with a spiral bit.

Remember, though, any time you're cutting fiberglas, wear long sleeves, latex gloves and glasses. And Peltor headphones. Any power tool in a small cabin is like working inside a drum. It's extra loud.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook