SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacement of vinyl lifelines
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Replacement of vinyl lifelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I'm stubborn I know, but I'm going to keep trying to drive this point home.

Vinyl coated wire is NOT unreliable UNLESS it's older than it's usable life span. The only reason that it is considered unreliable and was banned by the racers is that some people do not replace it when it's due to be replaced.

With bare wire and exposed meat hooks and rust and such, it's a bit harder to ignore when the wire has reached the end of it's life. Vinyl will often hide the problems in wire that should be replaced.
But whether or not it is coated, it still has a limited lifespan. And it's just about the same afaik for coated or uncoated.
That's why it's rather important to know how old stuff on your boat is. Standing rigging, chainplates, lifelines etc.
I prefer coated wire as well but I do something to keep the water from getting between the coating and the wire. When I make up the lines I put a 2" piece of shrink tubing over the joint between the wire and the fitting. When it is shrunk down it seals the joint which is the only place for water to get in until the plastic cover starts to break down or get worn through. At that point it's time for new ones.

I've been doing it that way for nearly 20 years and never had a hint of a problem.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook