SailNet Community - View Single Post - Staying behind the wheel
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 08-09-2012
Battered and Bruised
Re: Staying behind the wheel

I haven't been on too many different boats in rocking and rolling conditions, but on the few I have been on including my own, I can typically get a wide enough stance with bent knees that my feet get wedged up against something in the cockpit. Unless it is really bad I find myself changing position quite a bit, going from directly behind the wheel to standing off to one side, to sitting behind the wheel for bit. Most often I find that I can stand off to the leeward side as that is where I end up more often than not when really rolling and place my leeward foot against the cockpit wall. On my last really rolly trip I found that sitting on three throwable BoatUS cushions actually allowed me to sit comfortably behind the wheel and steer with a good view forward. I stacked the cushions like a pyramid, two on bottom and one on top which kept me from sliding off.

Experimenting seems to be the answer to finding the right position for the conditions.

It's my happy pill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome