SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacement of vinyl lifelines
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Replacement of vinyl lifelines

Steve,
I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone had lifelines fail in only a year. After all, the problem of substandard and counterfeit wire cables goes back all the way to the building of the Brooklyn Bridge. Where yes, they had a scandal involving cables that would have failed.

Today? There's no way to tell where your lifelines really have come from, and most folks shop on price, which means the folks are are cheating and using the cheapest possible sources, are going to pass on some substandard cables. Meanwhile others will be trying to make sure they are using good cable--but fooled by the scoundrels at the back end anyhow.

Which is not to say I disagree with you, I've never heard of vinyl-clad lifeline being a problem for recreational users. I've had one lifeline blow out from under me while I was standing on it (well, there was nothing else to stand on at the time) but that was from punked out lashings on the end of it, not the cable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook