SailNet Community - View Single Post - 39th Annual St. Mary's Governor's Cup
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: 39th Annual St. Mary's Governor's Cup

We had two close calls with bouys this year. One while I was below deck which was unlit, but we passed close enough for one of my crew to inform me we just passed an unlit can and read me the number (I forget which one it was) but I did confirm with the crew that they just read the number off the can. Being it was well after dark and he read the number unaided, the bouy had to be damn close and none of us saw it before it was abeam us. I think he saw it in time that we could have avoided it if we were on a collision course, but didn't say anything until we passed it, having decided we were not going to hit it still I would have like to know about it sooner.

The second one was one of the lit yellow bouys near Taylors Island. There are two fairly close together and I'm not sure which it was, but I was at the helm, saw the bouy go behind us a short while before we tacked. Well, the crew blew the tack and everyone (3 on deck at the time), myself included, got distracted trying to grind the damn sail in. I lost focus on my job, and let the boat fall off to a beam reach before I realized it and started heading back up to close hauled as they got things sorted. About the time I looked up, we shot past the yellow bouy at about 3/4's of a boat length. I had discounted the bouy because we would have sailed well to windward of it if we'd made a clean tack, so there was no one to blame but me if we'd hit it and nothing but luck that we didn't.

Like in flying, you always have to mutitask, keep scanning and drive the boat 1st.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-09-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook