SailNet Community - View Single Post - CATAMARAN DESIGN and BRIDEDECK CLEARANCE
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012

piclarke is on a distinguished road
Re: CATAMARAN DESIGN and BRIDEDECK CLEARANCE

[QUOTE=tdw;906246]I don't know enough about the bridge deck issue to comment on specific heights but insufficient height is a major problem from what I do know. {Thanks}

Regarding the interior, I'd favour a downstairs galley. My biggest complaint about catamaran layouts is the restricted seating space in the saloon where much space is taken up by the galley and/or nav station. [Agree my thoughts exactly] Must say I do like the layout of the Schoening 1320 though I know nothing about the boat itself. The 1700 is for my money absurdly large,[ I think you need it if your doing offshore passages and have extra crew to help with watches so one does not get tired and irritable, and depending on your age.] but then I only think about space for a couple plus very occasional guests.

The way I figure the galley is this. Down below gets it out of the way with one major drawback being heat in warmer climes. For me that is negated by the fact that in summer we always cook outside and with a cats cockpit even preparation outside is simple.[ Most boats these days have a BBQ,s hanging from the stantions or pushpit.]
Others might say that the galley in the saloon allows more interaction twixt the cook and the crew. Fair enough I guess but I still don't think that outweighs the other issues.[/QUOTE][ Good point agree.]

Oceancruiser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook