SailNet Community - View Single Post - CATAMARAN DESIGN and BRIDEDECK CLEARANCE
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012

Bazcatana is on a distinguished road
Re: CATAMARAN DESIGN and BRIDEDECK CLEARANCE

My comments about Bridge-deck clearance comes from the lips of designer comments I have read. They also come from a Cat sailor who owns a Catana 381 that has 2' 6" clearance and it does not slam, I know because I sail it like the Tornado Olimpis Cat I used to race.

I am just about to Launch my Website which tell you what Cat NOT TO BUY, depending on your requirements of course, if you want a Condo, have one, if you want to sail sideways have Skegs, if you like Hobby Horsing or slow Cats there are thousands out there, mostly from the Production boat department.

Watch out over the next few months when I launch my Web site, type in Catamaran and you will find me.

As for the topic in question: there are 6 main things you need in a good Cat design and one of them is NOT low bridge-deck clearance. Most Cats have none of the 6 requirements, they either have Fat hulls, Skegs, reduced Sail area, bad Bridge-deck clearance, too heavy and wide open slot and they all sail like floating Homes.

I have 200 Cat listed on my database all with designer calculations saying which one is capable of sailing well, assuming 'well' is whats wanted.

I'm looking at 6 Cats I might buy in the 45-48' range, they must have at least 4 to 5 of the 6 design requirements listed above, if they don't I move on.

I have been told my requirement is very high and most Cats don't have what I want, that is true. I can find only 10 Cats that come into my top ten for sailing ability and the all have High Bridge-deck clearance.

I sail at 35deg to wind beating of Monohulls who try to get near me, to windward of course, I sail higher than them.

I don't want to give too much away in Loo of my Web site Launch. There is a small fee but it's worth it.

Regards

Barry Parkinson Ex Tornado helm and Catana 381 owner.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Bazcatana For This Useful Post:
piclarke (10-21-2014)