SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthomartin:905780
I love reading peoples take on anchors. So important! I have spent a lot of time researching the different types and have had the luxury over the past 4 years to observe and test from the Great Lakes to the Med, Africa, Canaries,and the length of the E.Caribbean.
First, if you use a CQR for anything other than a paper wt dump it!! It is the most popular really bad anchor ever invented. Only good thing about it is how nicely it hangs on the bow roller.
PIf you tend to stay in one area you can go with an anchor good for that bottom type but otherwise a solid all around is a must. Wt. really is more about penetrating weed, grass, and firm bottoms. Holding has little to do with wt. For example the Spade aluminum has the same holding power as the steel.

Bottom line, go as big as you are comfortable with. If you have a windlass carry as much chain as practical for the boat. Go with something like a Spade, Mason Supreme, Rocna, etc for primary anchor. Deltas still good anchor as well, I have one as a secondary along with a fortress secondary.

Great sailing all
You must work at West Marine. Rocna et al made in China fail shear testing, and do not get a Lloyds pass. Regardless of which anchor you like, it's the amount of chain you use in combination with your scope that tells the story.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook