SailNet Community - View Single Post - Essential knots?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Essential knots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Flemish Coil?

Maybe it looks snappy to you but it is neither good for the line nor the deck. Much better to properly coil the end. From the excellent Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care,

"Pros and Cons: One of the major disadvantages is that pulling the rope out from the center introduces twists in the rope. The Flemish Flake may be appropriate on a boat's deck where there should be little dirt. It is also used for dock lines when a boat is docked for a short stay, e.g., overnight. For longer periods it is a deplorable way of treating rope: it gets trodden on, it collects dirt, and it stains the dock or deck with a spiral coil pattern of dirt."
Flake is old school. I have no problem with it, but coil is ubiquitous now. Flemish coil - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Sure, the coil will collect dirt. However, not if you go sailing often enough. It really needs to sit a long time in a dirty place to be a problem, IMHO. I've occasionally used the chain knot to allow air and water to pass through, but they simply don't look as neat.

The way I was taught a proper cleat hitch, btw. Two rivers and a bridge. Cleat hitches are very often done with the final turn around the horn being upside down. Looks bad!! I really hate seeing cleat hitches with multiple loops around each horn, totally unnecessary. Makes you look nervous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook