Thread: Nuclear s(n)ubs
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
Re: Nuclear s(n)ubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Maintaining radio silence when they are on the surface near the entrance to a port seems a bit silly - arrogant even. They should remember who they are working for.
My sub skipper despised sailboats (probably why I have one). His #1 rule-of-the-road is the law of HY-80 steel (the pressure hull material). Yes, that is arrogant. On the other hand it always amazed me how sailboats would cruise right into our channel apparently clueless that there was an enormous warship under the little bit sticking above the surface. Each "Back Emergency" evolution on the power plant undoubted cost more in nuclear fuel than you'll spend on fuel over the life of your sailboat.

Maneuvering a submarine on the surface in traffic is demanding business. Expecting the crew to chit-chat with recreational traffic on a casual basis (such as asking about rules) is well...arrogant. They work for your benefit but in no way work for you.

The crews that I had the honor to serve with were unquestionably among the most professional mariners ever to take to the seas. You can thank them for their service by giving them as much space as possible.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook