SailNet Community - View Single Post - Honest costs of ownership in CA, plus any other tips for a newbe
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012

Great Scott is on a distinguished road
Re: Honest costs of ownership in CA, plus any other tips for a newbe

I spent a lot of time out among the islands fishing as a kid. It is nice. I grew up in Thousand Oaks. Now I live about 45m north of Bakersfield. Morro Bay / Port San luis and Ventura are both 3 hrs. from my ranch, so either would work. When we go to the beach we mostly go to Cayucos just North of Morro Bay. When I go to Ventura area I end up spending more time with relatives than at the beach.

I'm trying to decide right now whether I want to go with a boat in the water, in which case I'd go sail, or something on a trailer in which case I'd go 24' power. That may sound like apples & oranges but understand how desperate I am to just have a way to get out on the water. My wife is not an ocean person and her family has saturated her with "a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into" mentality, plus I've raised 6 kids so it's taken all these years just to get things around to where I can actually get something without catching hell.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook