SailNet Community - View Single Post - Honest costs of ownership in CA, plus any other tips for a newbe
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012

Great Scott is on a distinguished road
Re: Honest costs of ownership in CA, plus any other tips for a newbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ34 View Post
+1 everything said above.

Morro Bay is the destination, Ventura is where you park your boat between destinations.

Here are the costs you can expect to pay to keep a boat in the water in Ventura:

Slip fees - $12 to $13/ft and an additional $190 -$250mo if you plan to live aboard. BTW, living aboard is the best value as the boat expenses become your home expenses.

Bottom cleaning - $1.50/ft per month

Insurance (prudent anyway but required by marina) $500 to $$$$$ per year depending on coverage, boat value, cruising area, credit rating etc. etc.

Property tax - 1% of value of boat per year

Bottom paint every 3-4 years - ~$50/ft if the yard does the work, $15 to $18/ft DIY assuming about a 3day turn around(welcome to SoCal)

The above does not take into account the general costs of upkeep such as varnish (refresher coat every 6mo to a yr), polish and wax, rigging, engine etc etc.

For all that you get a potential 365 day sailing season, the best cruising grounds in California with the Channel Islands just 20 miles off-shore, Santa Barbara 25 miles North. LA, Newport, San Diego and Mexico to the South (downhill there, beat back).

Personally, I think it's worth every penny.
Thanks.
So by the time you put it all in I'd better figure on a grand a month min + the cost of the boat averaged over the long run.

That's enough for my wife to be irritated. Funny though, it doesn't sound like so much anymore. I'm getting too used to hearing 'billion' and 'trillion' from watching the news I guess.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook