SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Morgan owner
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012

morganbill is on a distinguished road
re: New Morgan owner

I have had a Morgan 35 for over 6 years and love the boat.

Theoritical Max Boat Speed = 1.34 x the square root of the waterline length (27.6 feet) = 7.04 knots

Design Heeling Angle: Lean as far as you feel comfortable. A little heel is good, an excessive heel is uncomfortable and will start to slow you down. I max out whne I can look over the windward side and can see the centerboard under the boat. Your call. I sail in Southern California and when going to Catalina in the afternoon, the wind is typically 15-20 knots and I sail a close reach with a reefed main and a 135 Genny with the centerboard down and make 6-6.5 knots without too much bashing. Sailing home with the same breeze is a beam reach with a full main and the centerboard up and average over 7 knots and hit over 8 knots with a little surfing. Boat handles it very well.

I get a kick at taking out people new to sailing and watching their reactions to the boat heeling over. "Is is supposed to lean this much?" I assure them the boat will not tip over. I have a tall rig with a 13'-6" boom. Most 35''s have a 15-foot boom. I know the boat well so if you have any questions, please ask.

BTW You can get most of your boat data at Sailboatdata.com is the worlds largest sailboat database.

Morgan Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook