SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2012 Desolation Sound Trip. Pictures.
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
2012 Desolation Sound Trip. Pictures.

Great vacation to Desolation Sound this year. Went a little later than we usually do. Result was better weather, but more crowded anchorages.

Stopped in at Westview on the way up this year (Powell River) It's been a few years since we've been in there. New docks and harbor office. Nice showers and laundry facilities. The pink house boat is gone. Heard the story about its demise from Dave the harbormaster.

Spent most of our time at Roscoe Bay. Here we're anchored near the head of the bay close to the trail to the lake (sailboat far right stern tied)

While we were there, another sailnet member came paddling by and asked if there was any salmon for dinner. It's an inside joke with Mr. and Mrs. Faster, as we've bbqed two salmon with them on past trips, both I over cooked. Faster and his group were rafted up over at the falls:

Went on a hike to the top of a nearby hill for a view. There's a water jug up there in a rock stack that folks write their names and date of their climb. We did the same:

Here's the view:

Played around in the shoal separating the outer bay from the inner bay. This shoal drys around a Canadian zero tide. I enjoy snorkeling and wading this shoal to look at the critters:

Some of the seaweed in the shoal area:

Hosing off over at the little water fall after a snorkel:

My son and I have been building rock stacks near the shoal for the past 12 years or so, just for fun. I think others do it as well, as there are almost always rock stacks as you come in through the shoal:

Met up with JRD22 over in Melanie Cove. I bbqed a salmon for dinner. Didn't over cook this one. You missed out Faster. Here we're anchored near the head of the bay:

Had two great sails on the way back down. Out of Pender Harbor, we had 15 to 20 apparent on our nose. We beat down Malispina, passed up two other boats that were sailing. Then we headed across the Strait of Georgia where we passed up a Valiant 40 that was motoring directly into the wind and chop. We sailed a bit off the rhumbline and beat him across. That was cool. We beat down Trincomalie Channel from Pirates Cove to Montague, passing up three other boats that were sailing. We caught up to one on one tack and then passed him on the second tack. He pulled down his sail and started motoring after we passed him. Here are a bunch of boats ahead of us after going through Dodd Narrows. We typically go after the slack to miss the circus right at slack water.

In Nanaimo, we saw some cool rock stacks. We heard a native family talking about them. They called them Ihn-nook-chuck, or something like that. Said it meant that there was water around or just "I was here". Here is one:

Some new art displayed around Nanaimo water front made out of scrap metal:

Saw some cool mushrooms:

Squirrel Cove had a diesel spill after an old fishing boat sunk. Coast guard was in and out a couple of times but no boom had been deployed to contain the fuel leak. We heard radio traffic from yachties that were not happy about it. We were there the morning of the spill and left. No need to smell fuel oil on vacation.

Guess that's it.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 08-12-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook