SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips and tricks for getting rid of crab/lobster floats
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Tips and tricks for getting rid of crab/lobster floats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I wish they would work a little harder to place their crab traps, fish nets and buoys outside of marked channels and away from aids to navigation on the Chesapeake Bay, particularly for those of us who sail at night.

Are they placing them near the NavAids because they are easy to find? I suppose some animals frequent the channel bank to feed, but they could easily locate these markers farther away from boat traffic.

I sailed into the entrance to the Great Wicomico River at night in late June. The next morning when I left the river, I was amazed that I had not run into one of the unmarked, unlighted fish traps positioned close to either side of the channel leading into the river, or one of the numerous crab traps surrounding the navigational aids.

Many of these floats and traps have become serious hazards to navigation on the Bay.

You might look into the Maryland laws on trap placement. In Maine there is no restriction on where you can place them... If you find they are placed illegally a call to the state fisheries department can sometimes help..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook