SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nuclear s(n)ubs
Thread: Nuclear s(n)ubs
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
Re: Nuclear s(n)ubs

Knothead,

I just re-read my post and realized it was too curt, even rude. Sorry.

On that sub are 100+ crew below who have little insight into the conditions and boat traffic on the surface. None of them would make a useful VHF operator due to the lack of situational information. On the top of the sail are a small number (2-4 on my boat depending upon conditions) who are the ship's eyes and ears. One of them is driving the boat (giving commands to those maneuvering the boat). In tight quarters he is too busy with really high value tasks (like keeping his job) to be concerned with radio traffic. The others are lookouts don't have the authority to talk to speak for the ship.

I spent a lot of time on the top of the sail. We communicated in very nautical terms: the horn. Never did it occur to me that people in recreational boats were trying to engage us on VHF. Intimidation or rudeness was never part of the plan...driving the boat safely was the sole business.

I did however often (always) wish I was on one of those sailboats instead. Now I have my wish.

Best,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook