SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
So you are saying if I show up in my supertanker, that a 70 lb danforth and some 5/8" chain will be sufficient!?!?!?!?!?!hmmmmmmmmm do not think so!

Not sure my 8' pram to go fishing out of needs 100' f 5/8" chain! probably a 5 lb coffee tin full of cement, and eye bolt and some 1/4" poly about 50' in length would do the trick!

Again, it comes down to where you are, conditions you expect etc as to what is really the "BEST" anchor/rode setup!

Marty
I'm saying for a 30 foot average sailboat a 70 pound Danforth and 5/8 chain is a good storm set up. I would go to 100 pound on 40 and up as the boat size gets bigger. Thats for storm, I think these tiny fast set things are great for a lunch hook, and I think 2 sizes above what manufactures recomend is good for working anchor, no matter what type it is. I go one step further by personal choice, but as I we know, I like big stuff to do little jobs. I alway's bring more money than I think I'll need and leave earlier than I have to incase something happens on the way. My 15 foot whaler has a 15 pound danforth and 1/4 inch chain. I dive out of it and it's alway's there when I get back to it. On our 300 foot fuel barge we have a 2000 pound danforth and 1 and 1/2 inch cable. Go as big as you can carry with out disturbing the stability of the vessel and what your windlass can handle,
( or your back)

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-12-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook