SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sleeping underway risk
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Sleeping underway risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Yeah, no-one has ever been hurt when a sailboat grounded.

Donnybrook grounding | The Daily Sail

Both on my boat and the boats I've crewed on feet forward when in a berth was mandatory.
That's interesting. What a hit.
The reason I thought of it was that recently I was on a boat where we hit a rock and even though we were going only about 5 knots the shock was significant and one person buggered their knee.

While I agree the risk is very low the consequences are so horrendous and the solution is so simple (sleeping feet forward) it seemed like something some skippers may want to put into their risk assessment equation.

Another way of looking at it is if a skipper has a habit of doing the safer thing for 10 behaviors that each have only a .1 percent chance of disaster he has increased his safety factor a whole 1 percent. The one percent don't sound like much but if you sail 50 days a year then maybe you have saved yourself a disaster every two years.

And yes for you statisticians I know the above math is sloppy at best but I suspect you get the point.

Some people are luckier than others and others are more accident prone. Maybe it is not luck but math.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook