SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crew, Captain and Owner Feedback
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012

captainpatty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to captainpatty Send a message via Skype™ to captainpatty
Re: Crew, Captain and Owner Feedback

Interesting topic....choosing crew can be a tedious task, especially as someone has already pointed out there can be conflicting personalities and habits. This can be especially difficult on a long passage where you are literally chained to that person for several weeks or months at a time-24 hours a day. I have learned over the years through my own experiences first as a crew member than later as a captain, don't rush into a decision. It is important that you take your time, research the person (whom you may be hiring, or whom you are seeking employment from,) check out the references. Some questions you may want to ask of potential crew: do they own a boat, are the licensed and insurable, what is their experience level and do they have personal references as well as professional? Check with the insurance companies if you are hiring a licensed captain, they keep track of those who have been involved in accidents where injury to the boat or persons has occurred. Meet the people in person, when possible or at least do a face to face on Skype. Most of all trust your instincts, if you have a sense that something is off, than it probably is. In regards to posting a DO NOT USE List, while I think this may be a worthwhile idea, it needs to be done wisely. There should be some regulations guiding it, otherwise the potential for abuse and/or injury can be great, thus opening up someone to liable and slander. If there was a way to validate claims of poor workmanship then I would be all for it. I will just leave you with two more points for contemplation: 1. When I am captaining a vessel...on a delivery I insist on a dry ship. No Alcohol and NO drugs, of any kind, while underway. Too much can happen out there and you have no idea how someone is going to react under the influence. They may be the greatest of people sober, but get just one drink in them and they can become a completely different person. The next point again is for those seeking crew, especially for those seeking free crew....be very careful, sometimes you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook