SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do it all boat, Caribbean and Rtw
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Do it all boat, Caribbean and Rtw

Old doesn't necessarily mean unready. Nor does newer necessarily mean ready.

It's hard though to know what kind of boat you want, when you aren't really sure what you'll mainly do with it. It may seem like a quibble, but a good boat for the Caribbean, that you can RTW, isn't the same as a good boat for RTW, that you can take to the Caribbean.

For the Carib, I'd want an open, roomy boat with a big cockpit, with plenty of ventilation (opening ports, hatches and dorades) and shoal draft. For RTW, I'd go just the opposite, as I'd want a boat I could seal up tight, was easy to get around in harsh conditions and where I could wedge in tight to the wheel.

For myself, it was easy. As alluring as a circumnavigation sounded, I knew I wouldn't do one. I decided to go Coastal, Bahamas, and further into the Caribbean if I wanted to, and bought a boat well suited for it. I've not only been happy with the boat, but with my choice of cruising grounds.

In my opinion, the first decision in boat buying is deciding what you'll really use it for. The more suited the boat, the more you'll enjoy it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook