SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sleeping underway risk
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Sleeping underway risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Yeah, no-one has ever been hurt when a sailboat grounded.

Donnybrook grounding | The Daily Sail

Both on my boat and the boats I've crewed on feet forward when in a berth was mandatory.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get your point. Everyone knows it's highly likely someone will get hurt if the boat grounds, but unless I missed it, the article you posted doesn't say what happened (if anything) to anyone sleeping below... which is the subject of this thread.

Given that most people put their head on a pillow when sleeping and that said pillow usually fills any gap between their head and any nearby bulkhead, I'd say your risk of injury during a hard stop is far, far lower if you are lying down head-forward than if you happen to be standing/sitting anywhere else on the boat.

AFAIK, the only reason to sleep feet first is so you can get out of the bunk quickly in an emergency - nothing else - and to sleep feet forward in a quarter berth is just silly.