SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast Supports for Erie Canal travel
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Mast Supports for Erie Canal travel

,Only a few additional suggestions, others have covered it pretty well...

X-shaped supports will work fine, I'd agree that you want to make them up before leaving Rochester. sidney pointed out the value of heavy duty ratcheting straps, you can't have too many of those at your disposal, and will be the key to making the whole affair secure... Don't forget to use several in a fore & aft arrangement, much like spring lines, that will help immensely...

I think you want to have the rig at a height where you can still see under it while standing at the helm... I did a delivery a few months ago from Annapolis to Cleveland with the rig on deck, and since so much of the trip was gonna be run in open water, I opted to keep it as low as possible... But, when it came to maneuvering in close quarters, and running the canal in general, it really restricted visibility, and would have been far better to have had it above my head at that point...

Assuming you have a RH prop that walks the stern to port when engaging reverse, I'd suggest you offset the rig to starboard... Maneuvering into locks and coming alongside docks or walls, you'll be better off setting up for coming port side to...

A couple of large round fenders like those pictured below will be worth their weight in gold... You can get away with less heading south, as the only upbound locks will be those in the Oswego section, and over to Lock 21, then it's all downhill from there... Still, at least one pair of oversize fenders are never too much on the Barge Canal...

As others have said, unless you opt for the self service crane in Castelton, Catskill is the place to get re-stepped... I've never dealt with Riverview, only Hop-O-Nose Marina further up the creek, but can report their service was excellent, as well... although, that was quite some time ago...

Pick up the Skipper Bob's guide for the canal, it's the most useful of the guides I've seen - especially when it comes to marking mileage, and what is to be found within walking distance of various stops... Lots of good info, and a great bang for the buck...

Have fun, don't try to rush through the canal too quickly, there's so much wonderful exploring to do along the way, just a fantastic trip...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-12-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook