SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spinnaker Rigging
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Re: Spinnaker Rigging

Thanks ShockT. Length of line isn't an issue, I just needed to know how much I should be picking up.

Yes, the down haul has a pad eye installed, that's not an issue. Neither is running the line back, I just have to figure out where it's going to run unobstructed.

I don't have a current photo, but this one was taken a day or two after I bought the boat last year. ( 3008x2000 pixel image, hopefully this doesn't auto-embed) http://unguardedsleep.com/photos/contessa/DSC_2846.JPG
Currently, the blocks are placed slightly differently;
1. The forward most car on the rail now has a block for the 100% jib and is farther forward.
2. The second car on the rail is slightly forward of the stanchion and is just used to turn the line at the proper angle to the winch.
3. The cheek block (incorrectly rigged in the photo) is presently left empty. I suspect this is where the previous owner ran the spinnaker, but it obviously doesn't swivel so i imagine I'll need another turning block somewhere there.

There are the old padeyes for the original mainsheet are below the bulwark and out of site (behind the life ring) and might be a suitable place for an aft turning block, however, they may not lead directly to the winches and may foul other items like the life ring or stanchions if I try to rig something there.

I think the cheek block is the right location so I'm disappointed he didn't put in just a padeye so I could fix a swivelled ratchet block there.

I'll have to figure out if I can take photos of the spinnakers tomorrow in the day light. The yard is full of pool so it's difficult to lay them out flat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook