SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast Supports for Erie Canal travel
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast Supports for Erie Canal travel

The locks are now set up so that you are directed to come alongside on your port side which, as Jon indicated, is what you want for a RH prop. I usually point in at a shallow angle toward a stop point then SLOWLY, INCHING ALONG, hit reverse which nudges the boat to a stop and straightens it out centered on a rope or pole. (The federal lock has ONLY poles) The key is to go slow and don't rush because some idiot behind with twin screws and a bow thruster is impatient. I rig up fender boards between two big fenders. They are a big help. Large fenders far forward and aft also will keep you off if you make a mistake and may keep the mast from hitting. Some of the walls are quite eroded with big holes which a single fender could get lost in. They also save your fenders from the rough walls, mussels, etc.

Another thing to watch for is logs. They accumulate around the lock doors. I usually get a bit of speed exiting and then coast through any floating debris at the mouth of the lock. I have heard stuff hitting the prop many times which seems to be somewhat unavoidable, especially after heavy rains. The Erie Canal may be better than the Champlain Canal which intersects the Hudson River.

Last edited by smurphny; 08-13-2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Sp
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook