SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
capt aaron i was anchored out today on my boat relaxing and thought about this thread. I looked around at other people anchored out. there was another sailboat out there with the line going almost vertical with the boat looked pretty much like mine. But then looked at a 30' cabin/day cruiser and looked at his anchor line and it was straight down and i just shook my head and thought about this thread.
Scope. It's really all about scope. I like weight, that's me, other people like light, that's fine, but we all need scope. I took out the 40 foot dive boat yesterday on a little half day charter, I like to anchor for a swim in a little mangrove creek with poor holding at the end of the day. I put down a 45 pound danforth and a 3 to 1 scope ratio of 5/8 chain, ( tech. not enough) I just sit there on the weight of the chain, it's going straight down. If you looked over at me you might say what a dip sh!t. But I know I am doing it, and I'm watching what's going on, I would never leave it there. ( well I did for a few minuets to kayak through a mangrove tunnel) but it was very calm and slack tide and I know the creek well. You never know what the other dude is doing or riding on, but, recreational boaters who were trained by recreational boaters, who were trained by some one who became a professional recreational boater trainer some times have bad habbits and it usually presents itself in anchoring skills.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-13-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook