SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do it all boat, Caribbean and Rtw
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Do it all boat, Caribbean and Rtw

OK based on what you say so far AND assuming your idea of blue water does NOT included a visit to the southern ocean or the Northwest passage then you want something like this.

A new Bombay Trading Company Explorer 44 with the CB option. Look for one that someone has renovated to go cruising and for some reason given up the idea.

Big cockpit good water tankage 150 galls minimum lots of hatches that open from the front good light air performance already fitted for solar panels on an arch [ at least 300watts ] the arch doubling as dinghy davits roller furling on both the headsail and stay sail but slab reefing on the main [ The chances of inmast furling going wrong are just too high. It is interesting to note that the big charter companies are moving back to slab reefing! ] a code zero on a seperate furler would be a good thing to have an anchor locker big enough for 200 feet of 3/8th chain times two a dual bow roller that allows for storage of two anchors in captive loops an electric anchor windlass good dodger with a front panel that zips out and bimini

Yes I know it describes my boat and she is NOT FOR SALE!

In your position I would not buy an Island Packet as they tend to be overvalued IMHO.

But any of the following would do the job

Beneteau Oceanis 44 clicky

Brewer/Whitby 42 clicky

Catalina 42 clicky

Hunter Passage 42 clicky

Be suspicious of any cat offered that you can afford - a good cruising cat starts at $150k min.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook